Fine Jewelry Care 101
Posted on Wednesday, February 17th, 2021
in Ring Care.
Whether you’ve owned jewelry for most of your life or have just recently purchased or received your very first piece of fine jewelry, you’re going to want to make sure your favorite pieces can be enjoyed for a long time. That means it’s important to properly care for your jewelry. Here are our top fine jewelry care tips.
- Don’t wear your jewelry during certain activities. We recommend taking your jewelry off when doing household chores, exercising, swimming, showering, and sleeping. In fact, we suggest removing your jewelry shortly after you get home and storing it in a safe place. Failing to do so increases your chances of damaging or losing your jewelry.
- Avoid wearing or storing your colored gemstone and pearl jewelry in areas with too much heat or light. When exposed to heat and light for an extended amount of time, colored gemstones can either fade or darken in color. Some gemstones may even fracture when exposed to excessive heat or when they experience an abrupt change in temperature.
- Take your jewelry off when getting ready for the day. Certain chemicals found in hairspray, lotion, and perfume can damage your jewelry so it’s best to wait until you’ve finished getting ready for the day before putting on your jewelry.
- Regularly clean your jewelry or have it professionally cleaned by a jeweler to ensure it maintains its beauty and sparkle. For suggestions on how to clean your jewelry at home, follow these guidelines.
- Be careful when removing your jewelry in public. If you’re someone who likes to take off your rings when washing your hands, you’re going to want to make sure your pieces don’t accidentally fall down the drain or are placed somewhere they might be forgotten.
- Insure valuable pieces. We recommend insuring any jewelry valued over $1000. That protects you in case your pieces are ever lost, stolen, or badly damaged.
- Have your jewelry checked by a professional at least once a year. A jeweler will be able to closely examine your favorite piece(s) and let you know if any of the gemstones are in danger of falling out of their setting.
If you have any questions on how to properly take care of your fine jewelry, feel free to call us at 414-276-2457 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.