10 Things to Look for in a Jeweler
Posted on Wednesday, February 26th, 2020
Jewelry plays an important part in our lives. We propose marriage with engagement rings, say “I do” with wedding bands, and celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions with gifts of jewelry. It’s no wonder why many individuals research jewelers before purchasing their first jewelry piece. After all, you want to find a jeweler you like, and most importantly one you trust. Once you do, it’ll likely be the start of a lifelong relationship. So what should you look for when searching for your go-to jeweler? Here are ten questions you should ask yourself.
- Is the jeweler established? Have they been in the community for a long enough time to establish trust? Chances are you’re going to need services provided by your jeweler later on down the road, so you want to make sure you select a jeweler that will be around when you do need to visit in the future for a repair, consultation, updated appraisal, or whenever you’re ready to buy your next piece of jewelry. It’s also a good idea to look at online reviews to get a better sense of others’ experiences at the jewelry store.
- Do they offer a wide selection of styles? Obviously, when you’re looking for the perfect jewelry piece, you’re going to want to have some options. The best jewelers are the ones who can show you a variety of different styles without overwhelming you with too many options.
- Do they spend time getting to know you/your loved one’s style and taste? The jewelry piece you select should reflect your/your loved one’s personal taste and shouldn’t be just some item a pushy salesman sold you from their outdated stock.
- How knowledgeable and experienced is the jeweler? Unlike many other purchases, jewelry is something you’ll be able to enjoy for the rest of your life, so you’re going to want to make sure you make an informed decision when looking to buy a certain piece. Working with an experienced jeweler who knows the right questions to ask and what to look for quality-wise is your best bet for ensuring you end up with a piece you can cherish for many years to come.
- Can they custom create a jewelry piece? Sometimes you just can’t find exactly what you’re looking for. Or, you may be hoping to purchase a one-of-a-kind jewelry piece that you know no one else will have. When that’s the case, you’re going to want to visit with a jeweler who can custom-create anything from scratch, one who will listen to your wants and work with you to create the exact piece you envision.
- Do they offer repair and other after-sale services? When the time comes to resize a ring, add a new layer of rhodium, polish any scratches, tighten prongs, etc., you’re going to want to take your jewelry to someone you trust. Make sure to select a jeweler who offers these repair and maintenance services as well as any other services you may need later on down the road, such as updating appraisals.
- Do they create/sell quality jewelry? Nobody wants a jewelry piece that has new gemstones falling out every month, one created with a shank so thin it will no doubt break within a year. That’s why you should select a jeweler who creates quality pieces, one who won’t skimp on the amount of metal used or cut costs by shortening the lengths of prongs. So how can you tell whether or not a certain jewelry piece is well-made? Well, one answer is to look at the price. If the jewelry is priced at a cost that seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Will they stand behind the quality of their jewelry? If you purchase a piece you thought was well-made but then accidentally lose a gemstone, will the jeweler replace and set the gemstone for free?
- Do they keep a record of all your past purchases? When it’s time to purchase another jewelry gift, you don’t want to end up buying something that’s too similar to what you’ve given in the past. Or you might want some ideas of pieces that would nicely complement what she already has. That’s why it’s a good idea to shop at a jewelry store that keeps a record of everything you’ve purchased previously.
- Does the jewelry store have a consumer-friendly return policy? In the rare case that your jewelry gift was not well-received, you’re going to want to be able to return it hassle free and get your money back. That’s why you should always ask about a jewelry store’s return policy whenever purchasing a gift.