How to Choose a Diamond Engagement Ring
Posted on Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019
in Engagement Rings.
An engagement ring is a symbol of love and commitment towards the one person you want to spend the rest of your life with. It’s also one of the biggest purchases you’ll make in your lifetime so you’re going to want to make sure you do it right. Here are the 5 things you must do before purchasing a diamond engagement ring.
- Set a budget. It’s a good idea to plan out how much you’d like to spend on an engagement ring. Chances are you’ve never purchased a diamond ring before, so you probably have no idea how much an engagement ring costs. The answer? They can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to millions of dollars. It all depends on the quantity and quality of the gemstones you select, the type of precious metal the ring is made of, and how elaborate the style is. If you’re not sure how much money you should set aside, we recommend meeting with a jeweler who can give you a better sense of what certain engagement ring styles would cost. They’ll also be able to offer some ring suggestions within your budget that you may not have initially considered.
- Determine her ideal style. As you shop for an engagement ring, you’ll notice that there are a lot of options to choose from. Metal type, diamond shape, and overall style are just some of the things you’ll have to consider when picking out an engagement ring. Pay attention to the jewelry she already wears. Does she usually wear a certain colored metal? Does she like simplistic jewelry or does she prefer bold pieces? Does she like contemporary fashion or is she a fan of vintage styles? If you have no idea what type of engagement ring she’d like the most, consider asking a close friend or relative for his or her opinion.
- Find out her ring size. Obviously the easiest way to determine her ring size is to just ask her. But if you don’t want to ruin the surprise, you could sneakily borrow one of her rings and bring it to a jeweler who can determine its size for you. If that doesn’t work, here are some more ideas.
- Select the best possible diamond. The diamond is the centerpiece of an engagement ring. It’s the first thing you notice when looking at a diamond ring. That’s why you’re going to want to make sure you select the best possible diamond given your budget. This means familiarizing yourself with the 4 C’s and working with an experienced diamond buying expert to ensure you find the best value. At Kloiber Jewelers, we’ll ask you some questions to get a better sense of the type of diamond quality you’re looking for and then we’ll contact our best diamond resources to find several loose diamonds for you to look at in person and compare.
- Work with a jeweler you trust. For something as significant and meaningful as a diamond engagement ring, you’re going to make sure you end up with a ring she’ll be proud to wear. This means working with a jeweler that has a lot of experience with diamond engagement rings and will be there to answer any questions you may have. An experienced jeweler will be able to present you with a wide variety of options and offer useful advice to make sure you leave their store feeling like you made the right decision. When searching for a jeweler, make sure to select one that stands behind the quality of their engagement rings, provides a detailed appraisal of the engagement ring, offers repair and maintenance services, and has excellent customer service and reviews.
Stop in to Kloiber Jewelers today to begin your engagement ring search. We’re open Monday through Friday from 10am to 5pm. If you’d like to schedule an after-hours appointment, call us at 414-276-2457 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let’s create her dream ring!
To see part of our engagement ring collection online, click here.