Buying Engagement Rings Online vs. In-Store
Posted on Wednesday, February 12th, 2020
in Engagement Rings.
Online shopping makes our lives easier. We can quickly browse different styles, compare prices, and read product reviews all without ever having to leave the comfort of our homes. But shopping online for a new pair of shoes isn’t quite the same as shopping for an engagement ring. So should you really shop online for something as significant as an engagement ring?
Our answer is no. And here’s why…
- One of the main reasons why people shop online is because they think they’ll find the best deals there. However, that’s not really the case when it comes to engagement rings. You’ll find that independent jewelry stores can be just as competitive when it comes to price as online retailers. A lot of times, when you see a deal online that you think is too good to be true, it is. Some online retailers will list inexpensive rings or gemstones that really aren’t worth their price because they know that most engagement ring shoppers are inexperienced when it comes to shopping for fine jewelry and don’t know exactly what to look for. That’s why we see online shoppers bring in their poorly made rings set with less-than-ideal gemstones for repair work and upgrades.
- You won’t receive any advice from an engagement ring expert when you shop online. Is that setting durable or will it fall apart within a few months? Are all the gemstones set properly and securely? Is the quality and appearance of the diamond actually worth its price? These are just some of the questions you should ask when considering purchasing a certain engagement ring. And without the help of someone who has years of experience creating engagement rings, you probably won’t know the answers to these questions. Working with someone who is knowledgeable about engagement rings will ensure you end up with a ring you feel confident about.
- You won’t be able to see the engagement ring before you purchase it. One of the biggest disadvantages of purchasing something online is that you’re not allowed to see the item in-person before you buy it. You won’t be able to see what the ring looks like in different lighting conditions. You can’t compare it to other rings and gemstones and you won’t be able to get a good idea of its size. Without being able to do all of those things, you’ll never know exactly what you’re getting. And even though most online engagement ring retailers offer free returns, you’re still at risk if your package is lost, stolen, or damaged on the way back to the retailer, which is a big risk to take considering you could have easily just purchased the ring at a local jewelry store instead.
- You won’t be supporting your local community. When you shop at businesses located close to where you live and work, you’re stimulating the local community. The taxes paid by local businesses are used to support schools, parks, roads, and other local programs.
- Online engagement ring sellers won’t offer the same level of service that brick and mortar stores do. Ring cleanings, inspections, resizing, gemstone tightening, and rhodium plating are just some of the services you’ll likely need later on down the road. And while some online retailers offer these services, you’ll have to be without your ring for weeks and have to pay shipping fees. Once the ring is finally shipped back to you, you’ll have to make sure someone is home during the “estimated” delivery day since you’ll have to sign for it. That’s a lot of time and money wasted on shipping and increases the chances of your ring being lost or stolen somewhere along the process. Instead, when you visit a local jewelry store that offers repairs and maintenance work, you can be sure that your ring won’t be shipped anywhere, saving you time, money, and peace of mind.
Buying an engagement ring is one of the most meaningful purchases you’ll make in your lifetime. Do you really want to purchase a ring that was poorly crafted who knows where or would you prefer a well-made ring that was specially created for your significant other by a small, locally owned business?
When you purchase an engagement ring at Kloiber Jewelers, you can rest easy knowing you have a quality piece of fine jewelry that will last a lifetime. Preview our engagement ring selection here and visit us in-store to discuss all of your engagement ring options!