5 Things to Know About Engagement Rings
Posted on Wednesday, June 12th, 2019
in Engagement Rings.
- If you’re looking to purchase a diamond engagement ring, it’s important to have a basic understanding of the 4 C’s. A diamond’s cut, color, clarity, and carat weight will all determine its quality, and therefore its price. Most diamond experts agree that a diamond’s cut is the most important quality factor, but everyone has their own personal preferences. So while some may value a diamond’s cut above everything else, others believe that size, clarity, or color is even more important. Whatever the case may be, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with these diamond characteristics so you know exactly what you’re purchasing. But it’s also important to note that even though the 4 C’s can give you a better sense of a diamond’s value, they don’t tell the full story. For instance, two diamonds may have the same clarity grade but one may have an inclusion near the outside that can be easily covered up with the right setting while another may have an inclusion near its center that cannot be covered up. This is why it’s so imperative to work with an experienced diamond expert who can assist you into selecting the best possible gem given your budget.
- The design possibilities are endless. Some of the key decisions you’ll have to make with regards to an engagement ring are the type of metal you’d prefer, the gemstones (both type and shape) you’d like set in the ring, and the overall design (e.g. halo, solitaire, antique style, etc.). We highly recommend doing some research on all the different engagement ring options before settling on one design. This will allow you to get a better idea of what exactly you do and don’t like about certain styles. A good place to start is Pinterest, where you’ll be able to browse a variety of different engagement ring images. We also recommend visiting a local jewelry store where you’ll be able to get an expert’s opinion on all of the different types of engagement ring styles and get a better sense of which style would be most suitable given her lifestyle and fashion preferences.
- Make sure to buy the engagement ring from a local independent jewelry store you trust. Of course, we’re a little biased on this matter, but there are a lot of good reasons why you should purchase something as important as an engagement ring from a local jeweler rather than an online-only retailer. Engagement rings aren’t like books or video games. You’re going to want to actually see the ring in person before you buy it to make sure it’s exactly what you envisioned. You’re also going to need some after-the-sale services that can’t be provided by online retailers. Regular maintenance and repair services like ring resizing, polishing, applying a fresh layer of rhodium, or tightening any gemstones can only be done by a local jeweler. When the time comes to get your engagement ring repaired or checked, you’re going to want to take it to someone who you trust, someone who already knows you and your ring.
- After you’ve finally found/custom created the perfect ring, insure it. Like a car or a home, an engagement ring is one of the biggest purchases you’ll ever make. And while we never want to think about the possibility of losing something so sentimental, accidents do happen. Gemstones can fall out if the ring’s not properly taken care of and unfortunately, rings can become lost or stolen. If that does happen, you’re going to be glad you purchased that insurance. If you have any questions about insuring your engagement ring, we’d be more than happy to lend you some advice.
- Never forget that engagement rings are a symbol of your love and commitment to the one person in the world you want to spend the rest of your life with. For some people, searching for an engagement ring can be a little overwhelming at times. It can be easy to get lost in all of the smaller details that go into shopping for an engagement ring and you can lose sight of what the ring actually means to you and your future spouse. That’s why here at Kloiber Jewelers, we always try to make the engagement ring shopping experience as easy and enjoyable as possible.
If you’d like to schedule an appointment to look at and discuss engagement rings, contact Kloiber Jewelers at 414-276-2457 or firstname.lastname@example.org. View some of our engagement ring selection online here.