Engagement Ring Shopping 101
Posted on Wednesday, July 11th, 2018
in Engagement Rings.
- Determine your budget. Figure out how much money you can comfortably spend towards an engagement ring. Not sure how much one typically costs? The average amount spent on an engagement ring at Kloiber Jewelers is about $7,500, but we’ve created diamond engagement rings for as little as $500 or as much as $100,000. The cost of an engagement ring all depends on the style you’re after, the quality of the gemstones incorporated in the ring, and the type of metal you’d prefer.
- Do your research. When shopping for an engagement ring, it helps to have a general idea of the type of ring style your soon-to-be-fiancé likes best. There are a countless number of options when it comes to engagement rings, so doing your research beforehand and having an idea of the type of metal, type of gemstone, shape of gemstone, and ring style will make searching for the perfect engagement ring a little less overwhelming. If you have no idea what type of engagement ring she’ll like best and don’t want to ask her and risk ruining the surprise, use these helpful tips to get a better idea of her dream ring.
- Familiarize yourself with the 4 C’s. Since most engagement rings incorporate at least one diamond in the ring, you’re going to want to study up on the four factors that determine the quality of a diamond: cut, clarity, carat, and color. The most important quality factor of a diamond is its cut, but some people put a preference on other quality factors, especially carat weight. By familiarizing yourself with these quality factors (either by visiting reputable websites or speaking with an experienced jeweler, you’ll have a better understanding of why certain diamonds cost more than others. *If you’re not interesting in incorporating a diamond into the engagement ring, consider selecting another durable gemstone like sapphire (blue) or ruby (red). And if you want the diamond appearance without the diamond price, you may want to incorporate one of these diamond alternatives.
- Compare diamonds in person. Without being able to look at a diamond in person and compare it to others, you’ll never really know if the diamond you selected is the best one for you (and most importantly, your soon-to-be-fiancé). A diamond may look great when you have nothing to compare it to, but only after you set it next to another diamond, will you begin to really notice the differences between the two gemstones. At Kloiber Jewelers, we’ll sort through hundreds of different diamond options to present you with the three best diamonds that fit within your quality specifications and budget and let you compare them in person and under our microscope.
- Figure out her ring size. After all, we want the ring to slide perfectly on her finger after she says “Yes!” There are several ways you can figure out her ring size. The most obvious (but the less romantic way) is just asking her or going to a jewelry store together to get her finger sized. If you don’t want to ruin the surprise, you can always borrow one of her rings when she’s not looking and bring it to a jeweler to determine its size. Just make sure it’s a ring she wears on her ring finger, and not on another finger like her thumb or middle finger. If you’re unable to determine her finger size, the good news is we can always make an educated guess based on the information you tell us about her. And if we need to adjust the size a bit, we’ll do so as a courtesy!
- Always shop with a reputable fine jeweler. Shopping for an engagement ring is a major life event. You’re planning on spending the rest of your life with this special person and you want to commemorate that with an engagement ring she’ll love for years to come. Working one-on-one with a local, reputable jeweler will allow you to learn all of the important information you should know when shopping for an engagement ring and build that ever-crucial relationship in case you encounter any problems later down the road. Shopping for the perfect engagement ring is no easy task and you’ll most likely have a lot of questions when doing so. Working with a trustworthy jeweler will ensure you end up with the perfect ring when it’s time to ask that life-altering question.
If you’re interested in purchasing an engagement ring, contact Kloiber Jewelers at 414-276-2457 or email us at email@example.com. To see part of our engagement ring collection, click here.