October’s Birthstone: Tourmaline
Posted on Wednesday, October 21st, 2015
Those born in October have not one, but two choices when it comes to their birthstone. Both opal and tourmaline are recognized as the official gemstone for October birthdays. This week we’re going to highlight some fascinating facts about our favorite October birthstone, tourmaline.
- There are multi-colored tourmalines (my favorite being the watermelon tourmaline pictured below) where two or more colors appear side by side in the same gemstone.
- It is the chosen gift for the 8th wedding anniversary.
- Considered a gemstone of enlightenment and resolution.
- Believed to foster compassion, composure and reflection.
- According to an ancient Egyptian legend, tourmaline passed over a rainbow on its long journey up from the center of the Earth. This is why it is still referred to as the” gemstone of the rainbow” today.
- Said to render relationships firm and long-lasting, it is the gemstone of love and friendship.
- They can become electrically charged when they are heated and then allowed to cool. In fact the Dutch used a heated tourmaline to draw up the ash from their meerschaum pipes. They called the gemstone with the amazing powers an “aschentrekker.”